1/30/2017

Ralph's Confessions

Ralph's Confessions

“You know, honestly, I don´t know why I do it anymore,” he stated in his interview Friday afternoon. “I used to do it for the good feelings, the pats on the back, the compensation, the food, ahhh, the food… that was the best.”

He paused in nostalgia, looked out the window, then continued.

“But now, that’s all over, the delicious snacks… they’re gone. I don’t even get a real thank you, just some half ass pat on the shoulder – out of obligation.”

He looked down wearily.

“You know… I still find myself drooling over that… that stupid tennis ball. I even pick it up first now, dragging it over to them, initiating the hard work. I just, I just don´t know why I still do it… all for nothing.”

And as Pavlov’s great great-grandson finished his interview, Ralph just sat there, wondering how he’d gotten to such a place as this, deep in tennis ball addiction, without the satisfaction of any meaty treats.

dedicated to my Grandpa, his stories always keep me going.
And Lucky, my trusty pal.
                                                                                                                       
Raelynne Hale

Madrid, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment